Friday, January 24, 2014

Blog Post #2


 

In the Mr. Dancealot Youtube video, the central message is that students need to practice what they have learned to completely understand that subject. They also need to experience fully what they learned as well, in order to succeed in that subject. In this video, Mr. Dancelot taught about dance steps and different dances but never gave his students the opportunity to practice. When the final came along, the teacher said it was open book and open notes but that did not help the students. Mr. Dancelot should have allowed his students to stand up and practice these dances to prepare them for their final. I however do not agree with this conclusion. Every teacher should allow and teach their students to practice what is being taught. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

 After watching Kevin Roberts video about teaching in the 21st century, he believes that to teach the 21st century, everyone needs to integrate technology to benefit children. In our world today, technology is blooming. If teachers today did not teach their students about how to use technology they would be lost and missing a lot to succeed in certain subjects, jobs and other events in life. I agree with his video and I disagree. Yes technology is very important these days in a classroom or in anything. However, I think the focus should be just set on teaching technology. We as future teachers can't forget about books, and other materials in school besides technology.

 In the Youtube video The Networked Student, it explains why a student that takes all online classes, needs an actual teacher for that class. When I listened to that question I thought about my experiences with online classes. Most of my online classes I just received emails from the teachers. That did not help me in succeeding in that class. I actually needed a teacher helping me with that class. I don't care how much technology is used today, every class needs a teacher and a teacher that teaches. Teachers choose this profession to teach their students not sit back and send assignments and emails. Without a teacher students would learn about that course but not learn as much as if that student had the help of a teacher and that teachers knowledge.

 In this video Vicki Davis is talking about how she is teaching her students to grow in their knowledge through technology. She also is talking about helping her students connect with other students around the world. I liked this video because she really cares about her students and teaches them more about everything instead of straight from a book. I agree with her way of teaching about technology. I also agree like her students, students these days do get more excited using technology and are more excited about learning. I have never heard about flipping a classroom before.

This was my first time learning or hearing about this strategy. I disagree and agree with flipping a classroom. I agree with it 100% with older kids. Older kids meaning, high school kids. High school students would actually use this concept to their ability in getting ahead. This option gives them time to be ready for maybe pop quizzes or more prepared to have a discussion after the lesson taught. However, this idea for elementary kids is not alright. Young kids need to hear the lesson straight forward from their teacher not on their own. They will get discouraged and confused and that is not what we need for our students, or future students. Kids these days are already self conscious and emotional about their school work, they do not need any more pressure or being confused in their school work.

2 comments:

  1. I believe the central idea of Mr. Dancealot was that in order to properly teach students more has to be done than simply reading from PowerPoint slides. I believe no teacher in the 21st century should use the methods Mr. Dancealot used during this video as a sole means of instructing, especially not for a dance class. Since Mr. Dancealot did not allow his students any practice time throughout the semester, students weren't interested in the class and were confused about their final exam. I believe that successfully teaching in the 21st century requires a teacher to let go of the traditional teacher centered approach to learning and replace it with an approach that is centered on the student. The video about Connectivism didn't particularly catch my attention, but it is a concept that is becoming popular and will continue to do so in the future. It expressed that teachers shouldn't view themselves as the sole possessors of knowledge but that they should include their students' views and prior knowledge as tools that could further their learning.
    In Ms. Davis' video she was very enthusiastic about technology. She wanted teachers to understand that no two children learn the same and that shouldn't be used as an excuse for all students not to afforded the same opportunities to learn. Her primary focus was to make sure all of her students learned something new, regardless of the fact that they may not have mastered the use of technology prior to being introduced to the concepts in her classroom. She expected her students to use their own resources to solve problem and look up the meaning to words rather than her providing them with the information. That stood out to me, because I recalled Dr. Strage's demonstration of burp back education. I was not familiar with "Flipping the classroom" before watching this video, but I found it to be very refreshing. It is a concept that I will use when I become a classroom teacher. It allows students to improve their technological skills, it allows parents the opportunity to become involved in their children's education, and it also allocates extra learning time for students who may not have fully grasped a concept during classroom hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "However, I think the focus should be just set on teaching technology. " What do you mean? I don't understand this sentence.

    Do we need to teach about technology? Or do we need to use technology as a tool - use it where it facilitates learning? I think the latter. We do not need to teach kids how to use technology - just how to use technology for learning, not entertainment.

    ReplyDelete