Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blog Post #7

What can we learn about teaching and learn about Randy Pausch?
 
When I first opened this video I was surprised how long this video was. However, the first couple minutes I was very intrigued and wanted to continue watching. His video was very inspirational as well as helpful to not only teachers now, but future teachers. This professor from Carnegie Mellon was an highly intelligent, comfortable, and creative man. The main focus I got out of this video was about achieving your dreams, or helping achieve the dreams of others. Randy's message was, what can we as teachers learn about teaching about child hood dreams. Well what he spoke is teachers can be facilitators of their students' dreams. How, we as teachers can instill great qualities in our students to help them any way possible in succeeding in their life. By doing this it helps our students want to achieve their dreams. In Randy's video we learn that he does not have much longer to live. The mind set and goals he has is "nothing is impossible". This attitude of his an example of how we should help teach our students, and help them achieve their dreams.

Through out the video everything he talked about was interesting. However,one of his lessons was by far my favorite. He spoke about never giving up. This definitely hit home for me, growing up that saying was my families motto. We never gave up on anything in our lives whether school, sports, family, friendships, nothing. We always tried our best and I think that is what Randy was trying to get across. An example for future teaching is creating lesson plans. Not every lesson plan is going to be successful. We as teachers have to remember to never give up on not only ourselves but our students education. His final lecture was very interesting to me. He called it a "head fake". Throughout his lecture his many examples were used with sports. As a guy you would generally think this is normal for a guy to use sports. However, his reasoning of choosing sports as an example made sense. His thought was lessons in a classroom, trying your very best and it being very hard work. Just like in sports, but he put it in a classroom setting. For example in a group project, the students have to come together in the assignment and preform hard world to succeed. I would highly recommend this whole video to everyone. I am very glad this assignment was given to us. Randy Pausch was a huge inspiration to me.
                 
Links: http://frugalbeautiful.com/blog/free-inspiration-randy-pausch/
          http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/Randy/
          http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey! I totally agree that Randy Pausch's message was inspirational. He uses stories, examples, visual aides and humor to bring together a message of achieving your dreams while helping others achieve theirs. This is a message that could apply to both our professional and personal lives. I have never been into sports much but I can see how the lessons learned from them can carry over into many aspects of our lives and Randy nailed that comparison. You might want to take a look at the links you posted at the end, I couldn't get them to work for me but other than that I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked his use of the "head fake" as well. What I also really like that realtes to what you said about dreams is when he said that brick walls are not there to stop you, they are meant to stop the people who do not want it badly enough. I also was shocked at the length of the video, but he had me interested from the beginning when he said one of his dreams was to be a Disney Imagineer. You raised some very good points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The main focus I got out of this video was about achieving your dreams,…" The word focus is not the word you need to use here. Maybe thing or point?

    "His final lecture was very interesting to me. He called it a "head fake". " Yes, but then you go on to talk about head fakes as if they were the final lecture. It in the second sentence is the antecedent of last lecture the way you have written this. I am sure this is not what you intend.

    "As a guy you would generally think this is normal for a guy to use sports. " SAre you a guy? This sentence implies that you are.

    " ...and preform hard world to succeed." wrk, not world

    Poorly (or carelessly) written.

    ReplyDelete